Tuesday 19 June 2007

An introduction



To the world I am one insignificant being who has plodded this planet for 41 years to date. Born in the NE of England in 1965, I grew from infant to boy to man in around 16 years. Nothing odd there - it was about the county average back then.

England - a green and pleasant land, they used to say. The NE of England was far from green back then, more black and grey and tones in between. Coal mining, Steel, Ship (Merchant) and Tank (Military) Building were the main industries. The coal mines are all closed, the steel works gone and the ship yards and tank factories are barely operating now.

With the loss of heavy industry, the sky cleared, patches of blue could be seen and occasionally the big bright orange heat ball could be seen in the southern sky. Leisure became the industry of choice in the region and today the NE of England enjoys more green and pleasant countryside than almost any other part of England.

People from there are known for their hospitality, friendliness and honesty. The language is composed of words from modern English, Anglo Saxon, Germanic, Skandinavian and the various Gallic / Celtic dialects that have been spoken on these shores over the millenia. It is one of, if not the only English accent that is classed as a regional dialect, as it contains many words not in common English use.

I love the NE of England, but, it seems, not enough to live there. I left when I was 16 to join the miliary, spending 7 years in the Royal Air Force. I was posted to Leuchars in Fife, Neatishead in Norfolk, Cosford in Shropshire, Coltishall in Norfolk, Brize Norton and Bampton Castle in Oxfordshire, as well as overseas posts in the Falkland Islands, Ascension Island, Germany, Cyprus and Belize. I like to visit the area now as a tourist - learning new and interesting facts about the place each time. I will always promote the place as the best region of England.

It was not always so. Northumbria was a Kingdom in its' own right, holding the land north of the River Humber northwards to the Scottish Border. Durham was annexed from Northumbria (Northumberland as it is today) and was administered by the Prince Bishops. More interesting facts can be found at http://www.northeastengland.talktalk.net/index.htm

Following on from my RAF days, I joined Thames Valley Police - a big mistake. This episode in my life gave me great insight but for all the wrong reasons. 'Nuff said.

I had another brief career as licensee of a Public House in West London for a few years before returning to my initial career path in Aviation related Communications.

I currently work for a company in West London that provides Telecommunication Services and Applications to the Air Transport Industry (ATI)

I live in Buckinghamshire, west of London

No comments: